Outdoor Summer Hazards
AS PRINTED IN THE DAILY MAIL:
The sun is out; whoops it’s gone again!! Well welcome to the Irish Summer. But on a positive note getting your babies and kids outside is so important. James ate everything in sight so everything was a hazard including pebbles, barbecues, poison berries, water and the list goes on. Your first thought is to get them back inside to safety where you have every cupboard locked tight, every corner padded and stair gates that block all escape routes to danger.
However, after a very long winter a few simple precautions will allow you to enjoy the alien yellow object that appears as if to tease us sometimes in the Irish sky.
Keeping our kids hydrated and protected from the sun is one of the most important things to remember during summer months. I love the Hamilton range of Sun creams, as they are suitable for all the family and especially kids with sensitive skin. The snoozeshade for your buggy is also fab for the summer months as you’re baby will be protected and won’t overheat in the buggy. Make sure they always wear a sunhat and suitable comfy breathable clothing. Be careful not to leave creams or insect repellents lying around as some liquids and oils contain liquid hydrocarbons, which can cause a serious pneumonia-like condition, irreversible lung damage, and even death if a child aspirates the substance into their lungs. This is obviously extreme but a real danger at the same time. Child resistant caps are a must throughout your house and garden.
Beware of poisonous garden plants like rhododendron, deadly nightshade, azalea, rhubarb leaves, lily of the valley, hyacinth, privet, foxglove, delphinium, laburnum and yew that are known to be poisonous.Also beware of plants with thorns or spikes. These can cause a lot of pain if your baby falls face first into them. Teach your child not to pick flowers or plant parts and keep your baby away from them.
Please be careful near water as drowning is quick and silent. Young kids rarely make a big splash, thrash around, or scream for help like you see on TV. They usually fall in headfirst and sink to the bottom like a rock. A child who’s underwater will lose consciousness after two minutes and suffer irreversible brain damage within four to six minutes. Never leave your child unattended for any length of time near water.
TOP TIPS: (bottom section)
1. Stay aware and never leave them unattended
2. Even after the barbecues go out the coal remains hot so watch those little fingers
3. Don’t let them put soil in their mouth at it could contain dog/cat feces which contain harmful parasites
4. Make sure there are no holes in the fence and keep the gate locked
5. Make sure surfaces around swings and slides are cushioned and bolts are safe
6. Be careful of lawnmowers around children
7. Always make toddlers wear helmets on scooters and bikes
8. Be careful of open windows in the Summer and don’t leave anything near them that a child can climb onto